Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Deserts and Bats

I love nature documentaries. I'm somewhat afraid of real nature, but I love watching it on tv. My brother got our family a documentary called "Planet Earth" for Christmas. It is amazing. I'm probably less likely to go out in the wild because of it, but lets be honest, I've never been a man's man!

On the special called "desert" they show this cactus in Death Valley. It is obviously a very dry place. Still, every year for about four weeks these cacti have the most beautiful flowers. Right about when they bloom a certain species of bats leave Mexico for their journey north. They have to journey way too far over this desert and would never make it without food. Every year they find the flower on the cactus. It is exactly what they need to get to their next place (which is apparently within Valleybrook Church's buildings.)

This is amazing to me. These silly little bats are taken care of year by year. They take off ill prepared for the journey, completely certain that they will get what they need along the way. Every year the cactus blossoms. It isn't even a plain looking piece of food. They are met with a beautiful flower blooming for these ugly bats to enjoy. The bats finish their journey probably not even aware of the miracle that they just experienced. I doubt the bats realize how dependent they are on the cactus and how rare the provision really is. After all, every time the bat needs the flower, it is there. I'm sure they take it for granted.

It's amazing to me how well God prepares us for the journey ahead of us. Sometimes we don't journey because we are packing our bags to be sure we don't need anything. Other times we are able to trust that He is who He said He is and watch Him do more miracles in our midst.

I have traveled through some of life's deserts. The truth is, in the middle of them I have been met with both God's provision and His beauty. What a miracle this life is. Our Father is so faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment