Friday, April 22, 2011

Enough Time Away

I think I have taken enough time away.  That was my three week sabbatical that followed my two week sabbatical.  This blogging thing offers great time away though the salary is pretty stinking low.
Anyways, this is my first Derby Season in Louisville and it is a big deal.  Not only are there awesomely decorated hats, but there are rules and routines for everything.  Here are a few things that I am learning about living here in the spring.

  • The weather is crazy: 85 degrees at 5pm.  50 with rain at 8pm.  75 with sunny skies at 10am.  Repeat almost daily.
  • Derby is bigger than Easter.  How do I know this?  The kids get "Oaks Day" off of school but not "Good Friday."  Oaks Day is when the female horses run the day before the Derby.  I guess this is the day to go to the track and you go to "Derby Parties" on Derby Day.
  • There is such a thing as a "Derby Party."  There is even a "Derby Pie."  It looks like pecan with chocolate, but what do I know.  (side note: last year at the race they served $1,000 mint juleps.  It was made from ice that was taken off an imported glacier.  Seriously)
  • Horses are a big deal.  Every Walmart has one inside.  It isn't real, but good luck convincing Ana of that.
  • Secretariat won't be running this year.  Good luck convincing Durant of that.  He has a field trip to the Derby Museum and we are pretty sure he will cry when he doesn't see Secretariat.  He now wants to be a jockey.  He has the height for it.
  • Horses have cool names.  "Pants on Fire" is Nikki's pick to win.  I'm waiting for a horse to be named "Mr. Wiggletooth."  He would get my vote.
  • Louisville races everything.  If it can go in a straight line, there is probably a race over the next few weeks.
  • Nothing gets done until after Derby.  People are on semi vacation.  It is pretty funny.  I feel like an outsider.  There are fundraisers every day, basketball tournaments, and everything.  I'll tell you more when I figure it all out.
  • It takes weeks to prepare for, but the race is over in just over 2 minutes.  Go figure.
That's a crash course in this time of year here.  Have a great Easter weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment