Monday, August 8, 2011

The Pursuit of God

I am reading through "The Pursuit of God" by Tozer and there is a quote that stood out strong to me this morning. A. W. Tozer is writing about how our great honor and joy is in seeking after God. It is not adding things to our pursuit, but letting God's presence alone being our destination that we wake aiming for. Here's what he wrote.

"How tragic that we in this dark day have had our seeking done for us by our teachers. Everything is made to center upon the initial act of 'accepting' Christ and we are not expected thereafter to crave any further revelation of God to our souls."

He wrote this some sixty years ago, but I believe it is true today. I get to sit under some great teaching, yet it would be so easy to let the professionals hunger after God for me. Instead, the words of our pastors should serve like the fragrance you smell as you come in at the end of a long day to a dinner prepared for you. That fragrance wakes a desire to go and experience all that is before you. I believe the table is set and we can now taste and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment