Friday, November 19, 2010

Finally telling the truth

Here's the truth I have been hiding.  I don't really enjoy U2.  I don't have a problem with it, but they just aren't my favorite.  I like Bono.  I like that he likes Africa.  I like Edge and his glasses.  I like that everyone thinks that they are cool and they do the best concert this side of heaven.  At the same time, I've never been to their concert, so I don't really get it.  Maybe I'm too young.  Maybe I'm a caveman.  Either way, I have to say it:  U2 is not my favorite band.  I seriously feel better saying that.

The funny thing about that is that there are a lot of things in my life that I thought I liked, but it was just that the people around me did.  I don't really like soda, but I drink it socially.  I am not a huge fan if staying up late at night, but all the cool kids do it.  I would rather not do picnics.  I have issues with ants in my food, and usually shared food is kind of gross unless I'm in Africa.  I don't like coffee.  (Okay, that was just to see if you are paying attention.  I think during the heavenly concert we will have coffee served to us in awesome mugs.)

It is a bit scary that I am 31 years old and it took moving 600 miles for me to begin looking at what it is that I like and what it is that I don't.  I don't think I am the only one who has needed to do some soul examining.  What is it that you like because you think you should?  More importantly, what do you believe because you feel you should?  What would it look like if you really believed?

ps-I still have some U2 songs on iTunes.  I'm not that brave yet.  How else could I feel like a sort-of-trendy-Christian if I didn't have any U2 songs?

No comments:

Post a Comment