Monday, November 28, 2011

Almost Christmas

I can feel Christmas in the air, even as the rain falls when I once new snow. It is funny how badly I want this season of joy this year. I want the season of miracles, joy, hope and laughter. Usually I get in the Christmas mood when I shop on the 22nd, but this year is different. We are getting in the mood early! Here are a few favorite ways.

Jazz music: I like jazz music pretty much anytime, but in the Christmas seasoning imagine a ton of lyrics about mangers and candy canes. Somehow these songs are incredibly Christmassy. You should try it out.

Movies under blankets: No season has better movies to enjoy. There aren't inspiring Labor Day movies, but The Muppet's Christmas Carol? I'm not sure if there are better films. Plus, it is the only time of year that I don't make fun of myself for Hallmark like endings. Elf, The Grinch, They Year Without a Santa Claus. Seriously great movies!

Hot drinks: In the middle of summer I prefer a warm drink to a cold one. I spent plenty of days sweating on my back deck with a hot cup of coffee in hand. This time of year I am not alone. I like not being alone.

Purpose: Sometimes I can feel how much we as a people lack purpose. Monday bleeds into Tuesday and we may not wake until Saturday. When it is Christmas time we seems to live a little different. We seem to have hope for things that the rest of the year we would consider childish. We seem to find something positive in people that we are often critical. So many of us believe in something bigger than ourselves. Many of us pause to ask where our faith in this precious Child is blocked by what feels to be our reality here on earth.

This year I need Christmas. I have gotten to know so many more people who are desperate about their need for a Savior. I have seen that there is no amount of money or help that I could give. I know in my heart that my friends don't need me, they need a Savior. I'm so grateful that into this reality on earth a Savior was born. Enjoy this season in every way that you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment