Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Looking big. Feeling small.

A few weeks ago when I was in Ethiopia I got to visit the Eshet school where we are running the 10c dabo feeding program.  It is at this school that we are feeding 61 students.  The most challenging part of feeding these kids was seeing how many kids didn't have food yet.  In order to go to this school, you need to show that you do not have income, and therefore need a free education.  The difficulty comes in when they have an hour for lunch and nowhere to go and no food to eat.  There have been a few students who pass out from hunger.  They are otherwise healthy, but there is no food.


We spent our time with the students that we were feeding.  These were all of the preschoolers.  I got to go and sit with them.  Seriously, how great is this photo?

I look like Elf in this photo!  At the same time, I felt like him.  I felt so huge in this room.  You could stand three of these students up on each other and they would be able to stand as tall as my giant 5/10" frame.  

Height aside, I felt tiny.  I knew that there were kids outside hoping for leftovers.  I knew that even if we fed the entire school there are still others hungry.  I knew that even after hunger was met, there are so many needs.  It was one of those clear moments when I felt that the world didn't need Matt, but Christ.  I can offer a little food and a funny photo.  Lasting hope comes through Christ.

Hebrews 6:19-20
"We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain, 20 where our forerunner, Jesus, has entered on our behalf. "

No comments:

Post a Comment