Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Thoughts

I am fascinated by how often we think about us. Maybe it is just natural, but it seems pretty broken.
We have a raccoon that lives under our deck. He broke the side of the deck and must be getting bigger because the hole is bigger and bigger each week. I haven't officially met him yet, but I am pretty sure he isn't too concerned about what I think of him, his impact on my deck or if his hair is looking good on that day.
He's this nasty looking, honest!

Even though he often outsmarts me, I am holding on to the hope that I am slightly smarter than him and more advanced than he is. (Once I fix the deck we'll find out.) With that said, I should be able to handle basic stuff like him, eating, drinking, finding a place to sleep, and move on to more important items after that. Instead, I stay in the same pattern, thinking of myself way too seriously.

I would love to see what life looked like if we trusted basic needs to be basic. We didn't complicate them. We didn't glorify them. Maybe even we could put others basic needs ahead of our complex needs. I am holding out hope that this is possible. I'm also holding out hope that a bear will move under my deck and scare away the raccoon. That would be an awesome blog post!


No comments:

Post a Comment