Thursday, January 27, 2011

Owning my excuses

I just reread C.S. Lewis' chapter called "On Forgiveness."  He was a beautiful thinker, and somehow in seven pages he again is used to challenge my understanding of being forgiven and forgiving others.  I recommend anything by him, but currently I'm being challenged by The Weight of Glory.


Lewis points out how often we want God to accept our excuses instead of truly asking for forgiveness.  We would feel more justified if our excuse was enough.   Even if we can excuse half of the offense, that leaves the rest needing forgiveness.

Here are some of his words.
"In our own cases we accept excuses too easily; in other people's we do not accept them easily enough.  As regards my own sins it s a safe bet (though not a certainty) that the excuses are not really so good as i think; as regards other men's sins against me it is a safe bet (though not a certainty) that the excuses are better than I think."

Just some light thoughts for you on this blistery, Louisville Thursday.

ps-there is a cloud in the sky so school may get out early.  I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment